Symptoms of RA include:
- Pain, swelling, and stiffness in more than one joint
- Symmetrical joint involvement
- Joint deformity
- Unsteadiness when walking
- A general feeling of being unwell
- Loss of function and mobility
- Weight loss
- The exact cause of Rheumatoid Arthritis is not yet clear.
Amavata caused due to formation of Ama and its association with vitiated Vata dosha and deposition in Shleshmasthanai.e.(joints). The symptoms of RA most closely resemble with that of Amavataas mentioned in Ayurveda texts. The disease is a product of vitiation of Tridosha though Ama and Vata are the initiating factors in the pathogenesis.
Ayurveda considers this disease as “AMAVATA” and has a very effective approach to the treatment of this disease. The approach is holistic comprising of diet modifications, lifestyle changes, stress management, herbal medication and Ayurvedic therapies, Yoga asanas, pranayama and meditation, that help the body get back to Homeostasis (state of balance and harmony).
Ayurvedic Treatment For Rheumatoid Arthritis
Cakrapanidutta has described the principles and line of treatment for Amavata as follows
- Langhana (fasting)
- Swedana (sudation)
- use of drug of Tikta(bitter) and Katu(pungent) Rasa
- Deepanadrugs (stimulating hunger),
- Virechana (purgation therapy),
- Anuvasanabasti(enema) are beneficial in the management of Amavata
Amavata can be cured completely or manage well with Ayurveda medicines and Panchakarma. There are many researches done on this topic which are the evidence to support this fact. There are no chances of recurrence if person follow the Ayurvedic concept of healthy life style and regular cleansing.